There’s been a lot of buzz about Chrome so I installed it in my VMWare player windows instance at work and on Lisa’s laptop at home and took it for a bit of a spin.
- It’s fast.
- The “new tab” page is brilliant. It shows your most visited pages, recently closed tabs, recent bookmarks and gives you a search box.
- Each tab is a separate thread with it’s own memory.
- Tabs are sandboxed from each other.
- It has a slick uncluttered interface, I like the tabs at the very top.
- No Linux version yet :)
- No auto-complete for forms.
- Chrome will remember passwords for you but there is no “master password” so (as far as I can tell) stored passwords are not encrypted on the disk.
While there is no Linux version I won’t be going over to Chrome but I think the Firefox developers need to act fast (bring on Tracemonkey !). Oh and Firefox developers, Bug 339804 hurts.